NMAC held their Track and Field Championships at Leigh Sports Village on July 16th in which there were 119 entries in total. The event was run in conjunction with a Masters Grand Prix and was organised by Darren Scott to whom NMAC were extremely grateful.
It was a lovely sunny day, with a fresh breeze and inevitably some rain later in the day but not enough to spoil what was a very successful and enjoyable day of athletics.
There were several outstanding results on the day:
- Jennifer Ibbotson broke NMAC records in the W65 Discus, Hammer and Javelin with 24.83m, 32.18m and 19.59m respectively.
- Barry Kilby also broke the M75 javelin record with 26.72m.
- Ilse Hemming jumped a new W65 triple jump record at 7.04m
- Michelle Robbins 5.20m in the W35 long jump and Wendy Lang 1.35m in the W60 high jump also set new NMAC records
- Shot Putt Mary Parker set a new record of 4.44m in W75 and a new record in the Javelin W75 7.30m
- On the track Michelle Vaughan took almost a minute off the W50 3000M record in 11:39.11, as did Sarah Hill in the W60 3000M in 13:14.36.
- In the W75 3000m Anne Hewitt set a new record of 20:31.50
- In the shorter distances Steve Peters ran 13:08 in the M70 100M and ran 26:64 in a windy 200M.
Steve’s 200m was close to the British record, but with the following wind too strong it couldn’t count even for the NMAC record. The same applied to Mike Coogan’s M50 200m. I’m sure they will get another chance soon.
Congratulations to all these athletes and many thanks to the Officials and helpers who combined to make a very memorable day.